Chintakaya Pappu / Raw Tamarind Dal Recipe
Hari Chandana PIndianSide Dish
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 4
- 10 Raw Tamarind (approx. 2 inch sized tamarind)
- 1/2 cup Toor Dal
- 1 Onion, large
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 Dried Red Chilli
- 1/2 tspMustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 tsp Chana Dal
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 1/8 tsp Hing
- 1 tbspOil
- Red Chilli Powder as needed
- Salt to taste
- Put the rinsed toor dal, turmeric and one cup of water in a pressure cooker and cook for 3 whistles.
- Wash and pressure cook the tamarind with water for 3 whistles. Drain the water and let them cool.
- Peel the cooked tamarind and discard the peel.
- Add water to the peeled tamarind. Squeeze the pulp and extract the juice. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the chopped green chillies, red chilli, curry leaves and hing and fry for a minute.
- Then add the chopped onion and fry until light golden brown color.
- Add the cooked dal, tamarind juice, salt and red chilli powder to it and let it boil for a couple of minutes.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot with rice or roti.
You might also love to check these recipes:
- Thotakura Kootu
- Lachko Dal
- Beerakaya Perara Pappu
- Gujarati Dal
- Palakura Pesara Pappu
- Dal Lucknowi
- Lobia Sandwich
- Gutti Vankaya Podi Kura
- Gujarati Stuffed Bhindi
- Masala Pav
- Banana Chips