Beerakaya Pesara Pappu Recipe
Preparation & Cooking Time : 20 mins
Serves: 4 – 5 persons
Moong Dal / Split Green Gram : 1/2 cup
Chopped Ridge Gourd: 1 and 1/2 cup
Tomato: 1 large sized
Tamarind: marble sized ball
Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
Green Chillies: 2 – 3
Red Chilli Powder : as needed
Garlic : 2
Mustard Seeds: 1/2 tsp
Chana Dal: 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal: 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves: 1 sprig
A pinch of hing
Salt to taste
Oil: 2 tbsp
1. Soak the tamarind in water and squeeze
the extract out of it.
2. Wash, peel and chop the ridge gourd into medium
3. Put the rinsed moong dal, chopped tomato and ridge gourd
pieces and one cup of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
4. Turn off
the flame and wait until the pressure go off.
the tamarind extract, salt and red chilli powder to the cooked dal and
allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
6. Heat oil in a pan for seasoning. Add the
mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal and minced garlic and let them
splutter. Add the curry leaves and hing and fry for a couple of seconds.
7. Switch off the flame and add the seasoned ingredients to the dal.
Combine well and serve hot with rice or roti.
You might also like to check these easy dal recipes: