South Indian Fenugreek Sambar Recipe
Hari Chandana PIndianSide Dish
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Serves: 4
- 1 cup Fenugreek Leaves
- 1/4 cup Toor Dal
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Onion, large
- 2 tsp Sambar Powder
- 1 tbsp Grated Coconut (fresh or dry)
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Marble sized Tamarind Ball
- 1 – 2 tsp Jaggery, powdered
- Red Chilli Powder as needed
- 1 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/8 tsp Hing
- 1 Red Chilli
- 2 tsp Oil
- Soak the tamarind in water for sometime. Squeeze and extract the juice from tamarind and set aside.
- Pressure cook the rinsed toor dal with turmeric and 1/2 cup of water for 3 whistles or until soft.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan and add the chopped onion and fenugreek leaves and saute for a few minutes.
- Then add the tomatoes and water to it. Cover and cook until the tomatoes are soft.
- Mash the cooked toor dal.
- Add the sambar, tamarind juice, salt, red chilli powder, mashed dal, jaggery and water (adjust to desired consistency). Let it boil well.
- Now add the coconut and boil for 2 minutes.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan for seasoning. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add hing and red chilli and stir for a couple of seconds.
- Add this to the sambar and combine well.
- Serve hot with rice.
You might also like to check these recipes: