This is an easy and delicious South Indian chutney that goes well with idli, dosa, pongal, upma and any other South Indian breakfast dishes. I have already posted many variations of coconut chutney like Hotel style coconut chutney, Coconut curry leaves chutney, Coconut chana dal chutney, Pudina coconut chutney and Coconut coriander chutney.
If you are looking for more chutney recipes then do check Carrot Peanut Chutney, Radish Peanut Chutney, Onion carrot chutney, Peanut Coriander Chutney and Tomato onion red chutney.
South Indian Tomato Coconut Chutney Recipe
Prep Time: 5 mins|Cook time: 10 mins| Serves: 6 – 8
Author:Hari Chandana P
Cuisine: South Indian
Recipe type: Chutney, Side dish
- 2 cups Fresh Coconut
- 1 cup Chopped Tomato
- 1 inch piece Ginger
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder or to taste
- 1/4 cup Roasted Bengal Gram
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- Few Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of Hing
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan and add the chopped tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes are soft and pulpy.
- Switch off the flame and let it cool completely.
- Grind the coconut pieces, ginger, roasted bengal gram, cooked tomatoes, salt and red chilli powder into a paste using water.
- Adjust the water to get desired consistency.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan for seasoning.
- Add the mustard dal and urad dal and let them splutter. Add the curry leaves and hing and turn off the flame.
- Pour this over the prepared chutney and mix until well combined.
- Serve with idli, dosa, pongal and upma.