If you are looking for more South Indian Recipes then do check Kathirikai Rasavangi, Vazhakka Thoran, Vazhakkai Podimas, Brinjal Sambar, Menthi Kura Pappu, Keerai Sambar and Hotel Style Coconut Chutney.
Gutti Dondakaya Ulli Karam – Onion Stuffed Ivy Gourd
Prep Time: 15 mins|Cook time: 20 mins| Serves: 2 – 3
Author:Hari Chandana P
Cuisine: South Indian
Recipe type: side dish
- 20 – 25 Ivy Gourd
- 2 Onion, large sized
- 2 tsp Tamarind Pulp
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Red Chilli Powder as needed
- Salt to taste
- 3 – 4 tbsp Oil
- Peel and chop the onions into pieces.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan. Add and fry the chopped onions until light brown color. Turn off the flame and let them cool.
- Grind the sauteed onions, turmeric, red chilli powder and tamarind extract into a paste and set aside.
- Wash the ivy gourds and make a plus shape (+) slit. Keep one end intact.
- Now stuff the prepared onion mixture into the ivy gourds.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the stuffed ivy gourds carefully.
- If you have leftover stuffing, add it into the pan.
- Add little salt and cover with a lid.
- Let it cook over a low flame until soft.
- Keep checking in between and turn the ivy gourds a little until they are evenly cooked.
- Serve hot with rice and ghee.
You might also like to check these recipes: