If you are looking for more Ganesh Chaturthi Recipes then do check Pala Undrallu, Undrallu, Bellam Undrallu, Ammini Kozhukattai, Modakam, Bellam Thalikalu, Paal Kozhukatai, Rava Modak, Kudumulu, Rava Kudumulu and Ulundu Kozhukattai.
Here’s a full list of Vinayaka Chavithi Recipes.
Ellu Kozhukattai / Sesame Modak Recipe
Prep Time: 20 mins|Cook time: 20 mins| Makes: 10-11 modaks
Author:Hari Chandana P
Recipe type: snack, sweet
- 1/4 cup Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 cup Jaggery, powdered
- 2 tbsp Fresh Grated Coconut
- A pinch of Cardamom Powder
For Outer Layer:
- 1/2 cup Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Water or as needed
- 1/2 tsp Ghee / Sesame Oil
- A pinch of Salt
- Dry roast the sesame seeds on a low – medium flame until golden color.
- Remove from the pan and let them cool completely.
- Grind the roasted sesame seeds into a coarse powder.
- Now add the powdered jaggery, coconut and cardamom powder to it and blend it again until combined.
- Divide the ground mixture into 10 – 11 small portions and set aside.
- Add water, salt and ghee in a saucepan. Bring the water to a rolling boil and turn off the flame.
- Take the rice flour in a mixing bowl and add the boiling water little by little. Mix it well with a spatula.
- Let it cool for 2 minutes. When it is still warm, knead it well to make a soft dough. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky.
- Divide the dough into round balls and keep them covered.
- Grease your hands with little oil or ghee and flatten the dough ball to form a disc.
- Place the sesame seeds stuffing in the center and bring the edges together to seal it.
- Pinch the edges together to seal it properly.
- If you want to make pleated modak, refer my modak recipe. You can also make rounded konzhukattai, check my poornam kozhukattai recipe.
- Place the prepared modaks on steaming plate or idli plate and steam cook them on a high flame for 10 – 12 minutes.
You might also like to check these Traditional Recipes: