If you are looking for more festival recipes then do check Modak, Daddojanam, Javvarisi Payasam, Poornam Boorelu, Pesara Poornalu, Paramannam, Panchamrutham and Peanut Sundal.
Chintakaya Pulihora – Raw Tamarind Rice Recipe
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook time: 30 mins| Serves: 2
Author:Hari Chandana P
Cuisine: South Indian
Recipe type: Main
- 1/2 cup Raw Rice
- 5 Raw Tamarind (approx. 3 inch sized tamarind
- 1 – 2 Green Chillies
- 2 Dried Red Chillies
- 2 tbsp Peanuts
- 1/2 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1/2 tbsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Jaggery, powdered (optional)
- A pinch of Hing
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and pressure cook the rice for 3 whistles.
- Spread the cooked rice on a wide plate and let it cool completely.
- Pressure cook the raw tamarind with water for 3 whistles. Drain and let them cool.
- Peel the cooked tamarind and discard the peel.
- Add water and squeeze the extract out of the tamarind. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal and peanuts and fry them until golden brown color.
- Add the slit green chillies, red chillies, hing and curry leaves to it and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Add the raw tamarind extract, turmeric powder, salt and jaggery to the seasoned ingredients and mix well.
- Cook the mixture until the oil gets separates. Turn off the heat.
- Add this cooked mixture to the rice and combine everything.
You might also like to check these Traditional Recipes: