If you are looking for more Makar Sankranti Recipes then do check Pesara Garelu, Kova Kajjikayalu, Bellam Pongali, Til Mawa Laddu, Puran Poli, Suji Kakara Pitha, Sakinalu and Godhuma Rava Kobbari Payasam.
Here’s a full list of Makar Sankranti Recipes (57 Recipes)
Ranga Alur Pithe Recipe
Prep Time: 25 mins | Cook time: 30 mins | Makes: 9 – 10
Author:Hari Chandana P
Cuisine: Indian, Bengali
Recipe type: Dessert
Recipe adapted from here
For the Outer Layer:
- 2 – 3 medium sized Sweet Potatoes (1 cup when boiled and mashed)
- 2 – 3 tbsp All Purpose Flour / Maida
- 1 tbsp Rice Flour
For the Stuffing:
- 1 cup Grated Fresh Coconut
- 1/2 cup Powdered Jaggery
For the Syrup:
- 6 tbsp Sugar
- 6 tbsp Jaggery, powdered
- 1 1/4 cups Water
- 1/8 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Combine the coconut and jaggery in a pan and let the jaggery dissolves completely.
- Cook on a medium flame.
- Stir continuously until you get a thick mixture.
- When the mixture thickens, remove from the flame and let it cool.
- Divide it into 9 – 10 equal portions and set aside.
- Boil the sweet potatoes until soft.
- Peel and mash them until smooth.
- Add the rice flour and maida to the mashed sweet potatoes and knead it well to form a smooth dough.
- The dough should be soft and non sticky.
- Divide the dough into 9 – 10 equal balls and set aside.
- Flatten the dough ball with your greased palm.
- Place the coconut stuffing in the center.
- Carefully fold the dough to form a semi circular. Seal the edges.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Until you deep fry the stuffed dough, keep them covered to avoid drying.
- To make the syrup, combine the sugar, jaggery and water in a vessel and stir until jaggery dissolves completely.
- Add the cardamom powder and let it boil on a low-medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and keep the syrup warm.
- The syrup should not be too hot or cold when you add the fried sweet potatoes to it.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- Deep fry the stuffed pulis over a medium flame until golden brown color.
- Remove from the oil and immediately drop them into the warm syrup.
- Let them soak in the warm syrup for 5 minutes or sometime.
- Serve warm or cold.
You might also like to check these recipes: