If you are looking for more Onam Sadhya recipes then do check Mathanga Thoran, Vazhakka Thoran, Mango Sambar, Banana Chips, Sharkara Upperi, Ada Pradhaman, Homemade fresh ada, Avial, Beetroot Pachadi, Parippu Curry, Ela Ada and Cucumber Pulissery.
Kerala Vendakka Thoran Recipe
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 4
Author:Hari Chandana P
Recipe type: Side dish
- 3.5 cups Okra / Ladies Finger, sliced
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coconut
- 3 – 4 Green Chillies
- 6 Shallots
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 Garlic pod (optional)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Heat coconut oil in a frying pan. Add mustard seeds and urad dal and let them splutter. Add the curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
- Add 3 chopped shallots to it and fry until transparent.
- Add the chopped okra and saute for a minute.
- Sprinkle very little water and cover with a lid. Let it cook on a low – medium flame until pieces are cooked.
- Keep stirring occasionally.
- Grind the remaining shallots, garlic, turmeric powder, coconut, green chillies and cumin seeds to a little coarse paste and set aside.
- When the okra pieces are cooked, add the ground coconut mixture to it.
- Add salt and mix everything.
- Fry for 2 – 3 minutes and turn off the flame.
- Serve hot with rice.
You might also like to check these recipes: