If you are looking for more snack recipes then do check Garlic Kara Sev, Aloo Bhujia, Gathiya, Peanut Murukku, Potato Murukku, Rice Flour Chegodilu, Maida Chegodilu and Diamond Cuts.
Chekkalu – A Classic Andhra Snack Recipe
Prep Time: 25 mins | Cook time: 30 mins | Makes: 27
Author:Hari Chandana P
Cuisine: South Indian, Andhra
Recipe type: Snacks
- 2 cups Rice Flour
- 2 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder or as needed
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/8 tsp Hing
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Soak the chana dal in water for an hour and drain. Keep it aside.
- Combine the rice flour, salt, red chilli powder and hing in a mixing bowl. Mix everything until well combined.
- Add 2 tablespoons of hot oil to the flour and combine well.
- Add the soaked chana dal and mix.
- Add water (approx. 1 cup) little by little to make a smooth dough.
- The dough should be soft and non sticky. Keep covered.
- Divide the dough into 25 – 27 equal sized balls. Keep covered.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying the chekkalu.
- Grease your palm with little oil and place a dough ball on a greased plastic sheet.
- Flatten the dough ball evenly with your fingers till it is thin.
- Prick them with a fork to prevent puffing up.
- Once the oil is hot, keep the flame in medium.
- Carefully take the flattened dough off the plastic sheet and drop in hot oil.
- Deep fry them over medium flame until they are golden brown.
- Drain them on paper towels.
- Repeat the same process with the rest off the dough balls.
- Let them cool completely and store in an airtight container.
You might also like to check these recipes: