If you are looking for more South Indian stew recipes then do check Boodida Gummadi Pindi Miriyam, Methi Sambar, Ponnaganti Majjiga Pulusu, Andhra Mango Pulusu, Kathirikai Sambar, Kakarakaya Pulusu, Thotakura Sambar, Mango Sambar and Lobia Sambar.
Palak Sambar – South Indian Spinach Sambar Recipe
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook time: 25 mins | Serves: 4 – 5
Author: Hari Chandana P
Cuisine: South Indian
Recipe type: Side dish
- 1.5 cups Spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup Toor Dal
- 1 Onion, large
- 2 tsp Sambar Powder
- 1 Green Chilli
- Tamarind, marble sized ball
- 1 – 2 tsp Jaggery
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Red Chilli
- 5 – 6 Fenugreek Seeds
- A pinch of Hing
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and pressure cook the toor dal with 1/2 cup of water for 3 whistles.
- Soak the tamarind in water for sometime and squeeze the extract from tamarind. Keep it aside.
- Mash the cooked dal and set aside.
- Peel and chop the onion into medium size pieces and set aside.
- Heat oil in a vessel and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add the hing, red chilli, chopped green chilli and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Then add the chopped onion and fry until they are transparent.
- Add the spinach, water and turmeric to it and combine.
- Cover and cook until tender.
- After the spinach gets cooked, add the mashed dal, salt, jaggery, sambar powder, tamarind extract and required water.
- Let it boil and thicken for about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot with rice.
You might also like to check these recipes: