If you are looking for more Traditional South Indian recipes the do check Kachipuram Upma, Bobbatlu, Vazhakkai Podimas, Brinjal Sambar, Mulai Keerai Kootu, Javvarisi Payasam, Lemon Sevai and Idiyappam.
Kathirikkai Rasavangi Recipe
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 4
Author: Hari Chandana P
Cuisine: South Indian
Recipe type: Side dish
- 1 1/4 cups Brinjals / Eggplants, chopped
- 1/2 cup Toor Dal
- Tamarind, small lemon sized ball
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Jaggery
- A pinch Hing
- 1 tsp Oil
- 3 tbsp Grated Fresh Coconut
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 4 Dried Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 2 tsp Oil
- A few curry leaves
- Wash and pressure cook the dal for 3 whistles. Switch off the heat and wait until the pressure go off.
- Mash the cooked dal and set aside.
- Soak the tamarind in water and squeeze the extract out of it. Keep it aside.
- Chop the brinjals and soak them in salted water.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add the coriander seeds, chana dal and red chillies and fry until golden brown color.
- Then add the grated coconut to it and saute till the coconut turns light brown. Let it cool completely.
- Grind the roasted ingredients into a paste with a little water. Keep it aside.
- Add a teaspoon of oil in the pan. Add the brinjal pieces and saute for a minute.
- Then add the tamarind extract, salt, turmeric and little water to the brinjal and mix.
- Cover and cook till the pieces are cooked.
- When it is done, add the cooked dal, ground coconut paste, hing, jaggery and water (adjust to desired consistency).
- Combine everything and let it simmer for 1 – 2 minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan for seasoning.
- Add the mustard seeds and urad dal and fry until they are golden color. Add the curry leaves and stir for a couple of seconds. Pour this over the brinjal mixture and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice.
You might also like to check these recipes: