If you are looking for more Breakfast recipes then do check Carrot Paratha, Masala Pav, Panki, Bombay Veg Sandwich, Idiyappam, Paneer Pav Bhaji, Mamidikaya Borugula Pulihora, Apple oats porridge, Methi Paratha and Lemon Sevai.
Kanchipuram / Kanjeevaram Upma Recipe
Hari Chandana PIndian, South IndianBreakfast, brunch
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 2 – 3
- 1 cup Semolina
- 2 and 1/4 cups Water
- 3 tbsp Grated Fresh Coconut
- 1 Onion, medium sized
- 1 inch Ginger piece, finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies or as needed
- 1/2 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 10 Cashews
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast the semolina on a medium flame until you get a nice aroma. Don’t let it change color.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, cumin seeds and black pepper and fry till they start to brown a little.
- Then add the cashews and fry until they are golden browned.
- Add the finely chopped ginger, chopped green chillies and curry leaves and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Add the chopped onion and fry till transparent.
- Then add water, salt and turmeric powder to the onion mixture and let it come to a boil.
- Add the coconut and combine. Reduce the flame to low.
- Slowly add the roasted semolina in a sprinkled way, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Cover it with a lid. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until well cooked.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot.
You might also like to check these recipes: