If you are looking for more Andhra recipes then do check Pesara Garelu, Bitter Gourd Pulusu, Roasted Plantain Chutney, Chukkakura Pachadi, Kanda Nimmakaya Kura, Mamidikaya Sambar and Ava Pettina Pulihora.
- 1 cup Ash Gourd, peeled & cubed
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Toor Dal
- 1 and 1/2 cups Water or as needed
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt as needed
For Masala Paste:
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 2 tsp Chana Dal
- 1.5 tsp rice
- 3/4 to 1 tsp Black Pepper
- Small piece of Tamarind (approx. 1 inch piece)
- 3 Dried Red Chillies
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coconut (you can also use dry coconut)
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Few Curry Leaves
- 1 Red Chilli
- A big pinch of Hing
- 2 tsp Oil
- Pressure cook the rinsed toor dal for 3 whistles. Turn off the flame and wait until the pressure go off. Mash the cooked dal and keep it aside
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan and add the coriander seeds, chana dal, rice and pepper and fry them on a medium flame till they are golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
- In the same pan, add and fry the red chillies for a minute and set aside.
- In a mixie, add the roasted ingredients, roasted chillies and tamarind and grind into a powder. Add coconut and grind it again. Grind everything to a smooth paste using water. Keep it aside.
- In a sauce a pan, add the ash gourd pieces and water and cook until they are tender. Drain and set aside.
|Gutti Vankaya Koora Podi (Stuffed Brinjal with Curry Powder)|
- Combine the cooked ash gourd, ground masala, mashed dal, 1.5 cups of water (adjust to desired consistency), salt and turmeric powder in a vessel.
- Let it boil on a medium flame for 10 minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan for seasoning. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the hing, curry leaves and red chilli and stir for a few seconds. Pour this over the stew and combine well.
- Serve hot with with rice.
You might also like to check these recipes: