Thotakoora Kootu / Amaranth Leaves Kootu Recipe
- 1 cup Amaranth Leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Moong Dal
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Onion
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 cup Grated Fresh Coconut
- 1/2 tsp Rice Flour
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- A pinch of Hing
- Red Chilli Powder as needed
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Oil
- Pressure cook the dal with turmeric powder and enough water until soft. Mash the cooked dal and set aside.
- Grind the coconut with rice flour and water to a fine paste and set aside.
- Remove the root part of the greens and wash them twice in plenty of water.
- In a vessel, add the chopped greens, chopped tomato and enough water. Cook till the greens are cooked well.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, urad dal and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the hing and stir for a few seconds.
- Then add the chopped onion and saute until they turn a nice golden brown color.
- Add the mashed dal, cooked greens, ground coconut, salt and red chilli powder to the sauteed onions.
- Add a little water to adjust the consistency of the kootu.
- Mix well and bring it to a boil. Turn off the flame.
- Serve with rice and ghee.
You might also like to check these recipes: