Paala Munjalu Recipe
Hari Chandana P Indian, South Indian Dessert
Prep Time: 25 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Makes: 15
- 3/4 cup Chana Dal
- 1 cup Jaggery, powdered
- 3 tbsp Grated Fresh Coconut
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
For Outer Layer:
- 1.5 cups Semolina
- 3 Cups Milk
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash and pressure cook the chana dal with just enough water to cover the dal. The dal should be just cooked and hold shape.
- Drain all the excess water completely. Make sure that there is no water and let it cool down.
- Grind the cooked dal into a powder and keep it aside.
- Combine the powdered jaggery and little water in a pan. Let the jaggery dissolves completely. and bring it to a boil.
- Now add the ground chana dal, grated coconut and cardamom to it and mix very well.
- Cook until the mixture thickens. When the mixture becomes like a dough, switch off the flame.
- Let it cool and divide into round shape balls. Keep them aside.
- Bring milk to a rolling boil. Slowly add the semolina to it and stir continuously without any lumps.
- Reduce the flame to low and let it cook for a couple of minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Let it cool for sometime and knead it well. The semolina dough should be very soft.
- Grease your hands with little oil / ghee and divide the dough into round shape balls.
- Flatten the dough ball and keep pressing with your finger to form a disc or cup.
- Place chana dal stuffing in the middle. Bring the edges together and seal it. Shape it into a smooth ball.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Deep fry the stuffed balls in hot oil until golden brown color.
- Remove from the oil and place on paper towels. Serve!
You might also like to check these recipes: