Mathanga Thoran / Kerala Pumpkin Curry Recipe
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 4
- 2 to 2.5 cups Pumpkin (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coconut
- 6 – 8 Shallots
- 3 – 4 Green Chillies
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 Dried Red Chilli
- 1 tbsp Oil / Coconut Oil
- In a vessel, add the chopped pumpkin, salt, turmeric and water and cook until pieces are tender. Drain and set aside.
- Grind the shallots, cumin seeds and green chillies into a paste and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and urad dal and let them splutter. Add the curry leaves and broken red chilli and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Then add the ground coconut mixture to it and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked pumpkin pieces and combine well.
- Adjust the salt and fry for a minute.
- Switch off the flame and serve with rice.
You might also like to check these recipes: