Suji Kakara Pitha Recipe – Traditional Oriya Sweet Recipe
Hari Chandana P Indian Dessert
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Makes: 10
- 1 cup Semolina
- 1 cup Grated Fresh Coconut
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 2 cups Water
- Ghee as needed
- Oil for deep frying
1. Combine the grated coconut and sugar in a heavy bottomed pan. Allow the sugar to melt and cook on a medium flame.
2. Stir continuously until you get a thick mixture. When it thickens, add the cardamom powder and mix well.
3. Remove it from the heat and let it cool.
4. Shape the mixture into round or oval shape balls and set aside.
5. Add 2 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of sugar and a teaspoon of ghee in a saucepan. Bring the water to a rolling boil.
6. Slowly add the semolina to it and stir continuously without any lumps. Reduce the flame to low and let it cook for couple of minutes or until the mixture thickens.
7. Let it cool for sometime and knead it well. The semolina dough should be soft.
8. Grease your hands and divide the dough into equal portions.
9. Flatten the dough each dough ball using your palms and place the coconut stuffing in the middle. Cover it from all sides.
10. Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Deep fry the stuffed ball in hot oil until golden brown color.
11. Remove from the oil and serve warm!